Thursday, September 24, 2009
Visit to the County Clerk
Looking for some cool information and having trouble finding it? There is one place I know of that's pretty valuable, and free of charge. Look no further than the County Clerks office in Huntsville Texas (or any city for that matter). I found out that they hold public and private records of basically everything that went on and is still going on in the city's history including deeds, wills, etc... I happened to stumble across some documents over Samuel Walker Houston which showed that he had two land sales during his lifetime. That may seem uninteresting to some people, but the sale of the land could have held some significance, so even the smallest bit of information could lead to some striking discoveries given some time and patience. I also looked up a will to J.L. Pritchett and found out that he left quite an estate to his widow. This kind of information is also helpful because early in a city's history a lot of people were connected in ways that we may not initially realize. It's just one big room full of paper trails that are waiting to be pieced together to discover some pretty cool stuff. A person can even track down their family history at the County Clerk's Office with some help of course from the experts that work there. I recommend this fine institution to anyone looking to find those hard to reach answers, it's closer than one might think.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment