As we all continue our quest for new and creative (but still credible) information on the ever growing Internet, we should keep in mind a very local, accessible, and quite helpful resource in close proximity to us. The Newton Gresham Library catalogues and other search engines provide a great way to safely get accurate information that we may not have otherwise found. It's easy these days to just hop on google, type in a keyword, and take John Doe's word for whatever it is we are searching for. In Public History there is more finite research involved, which is why we have to pick through some of the nonsense we see on wik
ipedia. In my Digital Project over Samuel Walker Houston, I spent a significant amount of time searching for any rational evidence on the library search engines. The only two documents that I can describe on my blog are two photos of Samuel Walker Houston. The other books are physically in the library and I haven't had the opportunity to get my eyes on them just yet, but nonetheless a picture is still worth a
thousand words. According to Walker County Treasures (the website that the library referred me to) the first photo (left) is Jeff Hamilton (former slave of Sam Houston), Samuel Walker Houston (former slave of Sam Houston) and unidentified man are gathered together at the Texas Centennial celebration event. During the time of this photo, Samuel Walker Houston had already founded Galilee Community School and was currently principle of Samuel Houston High School in Huntsville. The other photo (top right) is a photo of him at his brother's wedding with the rest of his family. It's interesting to see his transformation throughout the years and to see images of the man that I have read and heard so many stories of. I would definitely recommend using these helpful tools for anyone looking to do any kind of research.
ipedia. In my Digital Project over Samuel Walker Houston, I spent a significant amount of time searching for any rational evidence on the library search engines. The only two documents that I can describe on my blog are two photos of Samuel Walker Houston. The other books are physically in the library and I haven't had the opportunity to get my eyes on them just yet, but nonetheless a picture is still worth a
thousand words. According to Walker County Treasures (the website that the library referred me to) the first photo (left) is Jeff Hamilton (former slave of Sam Houston), Samuel Walker Houston (former slave of Sam Houston) and unidentified man are gathered together at the Texas Centennial celebration event. During the time of this photo, Samuel Walker Houston had already founded Galilee Community School and was currently principle of Samuel Houston High School in Huntsville. The other photo (top right) is a photo of him at his brother's wedding with the rest of his family. It's interesting to see his transformation throughout the years and to see images of the man that I have read and heard so many stories of. I would definitely recommend using these helpful tools for anyone looking to do any kind of research.
No comments:
Post a Comment