
The Thomason room at the Newton Gresham Library is a unique and amazing way to come across pearls in local history that would otherwise be sitting unused in the archives.Cheryl Spencer and Barbara Kievit-Mason were quite helpful and intuitive in answering all questions I had with my topic. As I mentioned in my previous blog, I'm writing up a project on Samuel Walker Houston. Ms. Spencer guided me in finding two articles over Samuel Walker Houston. Both of the documents came from The Huntsville Item (a local newspaper in Huntsville, Tx), one from 1919, and the other from 1945. The first of the documents (1919) talked about the state of the school that Samuel Walker Houston founded. It focused on the areas of improvement that the school needed such as dormitories, heating, and lack of funding for projects at the school. The latter of the two documents (1945) is more or less an obituary for Samuel Walker Houston, and it also lists his accomplishments during his lifetime. I have also been informed that there are additional letters from Samuel Walker Houston to Harry F. Estill (President of Sam Houston State during the time) that I look forward to glancing over. I'm very pleased in these findings and am counting on posting my future discoveries.
No comments:
Post a Comment